Drink Cup is an Italian leading company in the bottling of water in PET bottles, representing one of the most innovative and dynamic companies in the industry, thanks to its patents. Among the many innovations that Drink Cup has introduced lately, one exemplifies the advantages that the company constantly look for not only for its customers, but also for the environment. This is the brand new SQUARE WATER BOTTLE that allows 30% extra storage and transportation of bottles for the same size. This means a reduction in the storage space for customers and a reduction in pollution to deliver the same amount of water.
The owner of the company, Marco Antonio Ferrero, explains that his factory is located in the fascinating Furlo Pass in the province of Pesaro and Urbino. The factory bottles the water that springs from the heart of Furlo Pass Natural Reserve. The environmental awareness is also testified by the recent 400 megawatt photovoltaic system that has been installed on the roof of the production factory, which guarantees self-power generation for the factory, allowing the plant to be self-sufficient: each bottle is thus produced using solar energy. Moreover, in the factory the lighting is generated by low-impact
LED lights or energy-efficient fluorescent neon lights, and the heating is obtained by recovering the heat produced during the production processes.
Before the bottling phase, during the cleaning and sanitising process of PET containers, Drink Cup has banned the use of detergents and polluting chemical agents, employing only self-produced ozone. Similarly, the objective of ‘zero environmental impact’ is pursued through the use of PET, an easily recyclable plastic material. The company collects from their customers the empty bottles which are then shredded and reused to produce new non-food containers or synthetic fibers for the clothing or the automotive industry.
The factory has a production capacity of over 4,000,000 bottles per year, with production lines and a high-tech warehouse featuring:
- 6.000 sqm indoor;
- storage capacity of over 300,000 bottles;
- more than 2.000.000 sqm of area of appurtenance ensuring production quality;
- an internal lab accredited by ACCREDIA, the National Accreditation Body, where two expert biologists constantly analyse the water so that all production lots are monitored in real time, continuously updating a complex system of HACCP and ISO 9000:2008 for the management of the entire production cycle.
And there’s more in terms of innovation. Drink Cup has also designed and licensed an innovative system for the construction of wells for drinking water, which was developed by a startup called Water Wells. This startup was created to promote the commercial development of a simple and clever idea that revolutionizes the way in which wells for drinking water are designed and built, with the following advantages over traditional technologies:
- energy consumption is reduced by 10% – 60%, thanks to the decrease in pressure drop;;
- installation time and costs are reduced as well as ordinary and extraordinary maintenance, thanks to the chain installation;
- no need for sanitizing treatments since the proliferation of bacteria is prevented inside the well;
- the wells are safe from aquifer pollution or attempts to sabotage (since they are isolated from the external environment and under pressure);
- this technology can be used both on new wells and on wells already in use;
- without feed pipe.
In order to upgrade its production line according to the growing production, such an innovation-oriented company could only work with an innovative supplier.
Drink Cup partnered with Atlas Copco Italia, a company that has made innovation one of its core values, and chose their high pressure compressor P 180-50. Introducing this new compressor has helped to reduce the plant energy consumption from 0.6 kWh/bottle to 0.4 kWh/bottle. In the production of PET bottles, the total absence of oil or polluting substances in the pressurized air is essential. Atlas Copco P compressors not only provide high quality air, they also offer a high level of energy efficiency and productivity, helping to reduce unit costs.